Smoked Cape Grim Beef Short Ribs
Smoked Beef Short Ribs
Cook Time - Average 7-8 hours
- Cape Grim Short Ribs
- Ironbark chunks
- Cherry chunks
- Heavenly Hell Cocaine Cowboy
- Heavenly Hell The Grilled, The Smoked, The Lovely
- Sins Que Black Mamba
- Preheat smoker to 250f/121c
- Remove the membrane from the bottom side of the ribs, trim fat cap off or leave on (personal preference - We recommend trying both ways to see what you prefer).
Apply your favourite rubs!
- We have layered these ribs with a base rub of Heavenly Hell Cocaine Cowboy, followed by Heavenly Hells Grilled, Smoked & Lovely and topped with Sins Que Black Mamba.
- Place in smoker away from the direct heat source - We smoked these ribs on our Big Green Egg XL
- Smoke for 3-4 hours to color & until bark is set (stall temps155-165f/68-73c) WRAP TO COLOR & BARK not to the stall!
- Wrap in peach paper or foil with butter & stock or Beef Tallow (optional) we used Broth of Life Organic Beef Tallow
- You can also cook the ribs straight through without wrapping - so try this sometime!
- Return to smoker and cook until 200f/92c internal temperature – Start checking for tenderness at this stage (once it probes like a hot knife through soft butter its DONE!) This can be anywhere from 200f/92c to 210f/110c – GET TO KNOW YOUR MEAT BY FEEL!! Cook to feel not temperature!
- Remove from smoker once tender, unwrap slightly and allow to burp (remove steam) for 10-20mins or until internal temp drops to 80c/175f, rewrap lightly, fold in a towel and place into an esky for minimum 1 hour to rest (the longer the better)